Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat just died, and we have other cats. Her equilibrium

Customer Question
my cat just died, and...
my cat just died, and we have other cats. Her equilibrium was off and she couldn't walk suddenly. She threw up some foam. She couldn't hold her bladder. She was panting heavily. Could she have had something contagious to our other cats?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: She weighed about 20 pounds, She was a white cat and had a sweet disposition. She was nervous around other people, but not us.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/13/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your companion.

1) How old was she?
2) When did her symptoms begin?
3) Any exposure to toxins?
4) When was she last examined? Was any recent blood work performed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She was 10 years old. Symptoms began yesterday. She was hiding under a bed and we heard her crying. No exposure to toxins that we are aware of. She hasn't had recent blood work or recent exam.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My most concern is for the other cats now.

At 10 years of age, it's more likely that she had some variety of underlying medical issue. With symptoms you witnessed, there are a wide variety of things that may have been to blame including pancreatitis, a seizure disorder, organ dysfunction including heart disease, etc. Very rarely do we see these types of symptoms passed on directly to other cats from exposure, especially if this is a closed household and your girl was not routinely exposed to other animals in the neighborhood.

If you want the most information available, consider having a necropsy performed post-mortem where a veterinarian can take a look at her internal organs. If needed, they can also take samples post-mortem and have them analyzed by a lab to determine toxin exposure, if this becomes an increased concern on list of potential causes.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How are your other cats doing?

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert