Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is 23+ years old/female/spayed. She's lost over 50%

Customer Question
My cat is 23+ years...
My cat is 23+ years old/female/spayed. She's lost over 50% of her body weight in the past 6 months & feels skeletal. She still has a healthy appetite & drinks quite a bit of water, but over this past week, her body has become weaker & weaker although she's still very alert, lost use of her back legs & hasn't had a bowel movement in 5 days. She urinates regularly although not as much as in the past. Is she just coming to the end of her days or do you think this is health related? What should I do? She doesn't seem to be in any pain & wants to be held constantly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has your girl had any blood work run in the last 6 months?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Has always been very healthy, indoor-cat, hasn't been to vet in years.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

The loss of 50% of her weight suggests blood work would be a good start. We can see conditions such as liver disease, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, etc. that can cause severe weight loss that can be managed with medication and diet, in many cases. I would talk to your vet about doing an exam, full panel of blood work and thyroid panel. Often times, they will have results for you while you wait in the office and a determination can be made on what treatment needs to be started, if any.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
her age would not account for the change in body weight? I mean, considering her age, is it really feasible to start her on all this medical intervention & possible medications? How much longer can she be expected to live? Don't misunderstand me, I love her dearly but most vets charge over $300 just for a blood work-up panel. I've been that route with another pet & after spending over $1200.00 was told to just "let her go".

Age is not a disease, as the saying goes. Cats have lived to 30 with good body condition. Health concerns are more likely to be the root of the weight loss than age alone. $300 is a good investment to know what is wrong with her. Once you know, this can help determine what route to take. If it's related to her thyroid, medication can right what is wrong and she will gain weight back and should return to her normal condition. If this is diabetes, insulin and diet change can help. If she's in liver or kidney failure, you'll be buying her time before she passes anyhow and major medical intervention may not be indicated if you wish to avoid the expense for her to pass on anyhow.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert