Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat continually vomits up hairballs, but along with it a

Customer Question

My cat continually vomits up hairballs, but along with it a brown substance. We took her off dry food a week ago thinking that would help. Then tonight, it happened again. We give her hairball medicine every day also.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. She is on the same diet as always
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Minka, age 4 roughly, she was a rescue kitty.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minka?
Customer: She is an indoor cat. We also have 4 other cats.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This has been happening with her for months. It just seems to get worse. It is basically projectally vomitting. We got her a water fountain bowl to get her to drink more water.
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm sorry Minka is experiencing this problem that has you worried.

Is she a long-haired cat? Does she mutually groom with the other cats in the household? If so, she may be ingesting more fur than the average cat and this is causing the hairballs. The brown substance you see with the hairball is most likely digested food or excess acid mixed with contents from her stomach.

Follow directions on the hairball medicine, to know how much to give her and when.

In addition to the hairball problem, Minka may have acid reflux or excess stomach acid, which can lead to nausea, hence the vomiting the brown substance with the hairballs. For the moment, you can give her 1/4 of a 10mg. tablet of Pepcid AC (Famotidine) a half hour before her meals. Do this every 12 hours. The tablet itself is very small, so 1/4 is tiny; it should be easy to hide in a small amount of smooth, paté canned cat food or some plain, jarred baby food chicken or turkey containing NO onion or garlic products. Follow the pill with a little bit more of the food you put it in and encourage her to drink, to make sure it goes down properly.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

----------------------

I'm glad you changed her over to canned food, because it's healthier for cats. Make sure it's a high quality food that's grain-free and contains nothing artificial, like coloring, additives and/or preservatives. She may be allergic or sensitive to one or some of the ingredients in her food. Here is an article written by a feline veterinarian about the best way to feed our cats:

http://catinfo.org/

----------

For the hairballs, groom her 2-3 times a day with a comb and/or brush, whichever she prefers and this will remove the 'dead' hair she's been ingesting. Try to groom all your cats, so if they mutually

groom, they will each ingest less fur from each other.

I'm glad you got the cat drinking fountain to encourage her to drink more; cats love drinking from a moving water source.

You can add some Alaskan Salmon Oil to her food once a day; this will provide additional Omega 3's.

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/wild-alaskan-salmon-oil-cat-food-supplement

-----------

It would be a good idea to discuss this vomiting with her vet at an in-person examination and a basic blood panel would be a good idea, too.

I hope all will be well with Minka!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Just a quick follow-up to see how everything is going with Minka. Did you find my answer helpful?