Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Cat is not eating and had a little bit of grey in her stool, Lilly and 10, She is also drinking a lot of water but only

Customer Question
She is not eating and...
She is not eating and had a little bit of grey in her stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lilly and 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilly?
Customer: She is also drinking a lot of water but only peeing a little How much will this cost
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is someone there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is also just laying around.
10/7/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did she last eat normally?
2) Is the stool normal? Diarrhea? any blood?
3) What food has she been eating up until recently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She last ate a couple days ago and her poop is not diarrhea.

Thanks for your reply. For some reason I did not receive notification, I apologize for the delay.

What food is she eating? canned? dry? any human food?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both

Human food, as well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She did eat old litter off of our basement floor too
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We think she is constipated but not sure

The most common cause of grey stool is a problem with the liver, pancreas or gall bladder. The fact that she is not eating well and is 10 gives more than enough reason to seek having blood work done to determine if one of the aforementioned organs is not functioning properly. It is also common for cats who are not eating well over the 3 day mark to develop a condition known as fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure.

If the litter she consumed was clay-based, this may also have contributed but the presence in the stool should have happened 24-48 hours after the consumption. If not, it's likely linked to something else.

Until you can have her seen, I would recommend trying pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. This may entice her to being eating again and, if so, you can slowly switch her back over to canned food and eventually kibble, as well. Her lack of eating may be due to nausea, and it won't hurt to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was just a little grey

If this happened after the litter consumption and it was clay, this may be the cause. Otherwise, you'll need to consider an underlying problem. There is a reason that she is not eating well, which may still be linked to an underlying condition. I would still recommend a visit to your vet and bloodwork.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be a gas bubble?

Very unlikely. It should have passed by now and gas does not change the color of stool.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would we know if what she has is life threatening
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We also have had strangers in our house lately that threw her off and she was perfectly fine before that

Taking her to your vet for blood work and an exam would be a good start to knowing if this is life-threatening. If the grey stool is related to an organ problem, then it very well could be life threatening. As well, her high volume of water consumption and small amounts of urine output could indicate a kidney problem. I cannot impress upon you heavily enough the need for a visit to your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She isnt drinking water now. Is there anything we can do today to help her

I would recommend following the steps as written above:

This should help settle her stomach if she's avoiding eating due to nausea. The foods recommended are also gentle on the stomach so, ideally, no vomiting will be seen and she will continue to eat well for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are taking her to the vet now. Do you honestly think its something that can be fixed

It depends on what is wrong. If she's in organ failure, there may be no fixing it. If you can tell me more once diagnostics are run, I can give you more information on whether or not treatment or a "fix" is available.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vet said that she was cold
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are putting her in an incubator

Keep me apprised. I'll be near the computer. Hypothermia is not a promising sign.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They think its kidney related because its enlarged

Will they be doing blood work or an ultrasound?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah they are.

Excellent news. I'll be standing by if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Based on your experience do cats survive in this condition

If this is just kidney compromise, cats can live a long time with kidney issues. It depends on how progressed the illness might be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her kidney is enlarged. She was concerned with her condition too.

The blood work and ultrasound should give them a good idea on whether or not her prognosis is poor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She didnt make it

I'm so sorry to hear this, JACustomer. It sounds like you did what you could to try to determine the cause. My greatest condolences.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They put her in the incubator, and then she stopped breathing apparently. They tried CPR but that didnt help

Sometimes whatever ails them is too far progressed for medicine to fix. The same happens with people too, I'm afraid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What could have caused it though

Did they ever give you a confirmed diagnosis?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They said kidneys
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kidney cancer

If it was cancer, it was caused by an abnormal growth of cells within the organ. That is what caused the original concern. There is nothing that you or your family did incorrectly to have caused the situation. Cancer can take on many forms and can debilitate an animal quickly or slowly depending on the level of aggression.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My fiance thinks its his fault
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For not taking her in sooner. She started peeing all over the place and we just thought she was stressed

Urination in the home can certainly be a sign of stress. And she could have gone to the vet sooner, but the cause of the cancer was not his own. Even if she had gone in days or weeks ago, the result was likely to be the same.

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert