Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

We have two purebred Bengals, indoor only, one is 4, one is

Customer Question
nine. Vespa is nine and...
We have two purebred Bengals, indoor only, one is 4, one is nine. Vespa is nine and for the past 6 weeks or so she has been making a gurgling sound. She does not do it all the time, primarily when she is excited, never when she sleeps or is relaxing. She has no discharge anywhere and her appetite is good, she weighs 11 lbs. I took her to Fresh Pond Animal Hospital in Belmont, Mass. and they ruled out any URI, UTI or other infection. They put her on two weeks of azithromycin and, when that had no effect, another two weeks, also with no effect. They then referred me to an Internal medicine specialist at Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston.
The vet at Angell also ruled out any infection and suggested an $1,800 CT scan. Both vets noticed what may be one slightly abscessed tooth but both said it probably was not the cause. I am not averse to the $1,800 but wonder why they cannot dx her without it. How many different things can this be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
10/6/2016
Cat Vet: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am sorry you are worried about Vespa.

Where does the gurgling sound come from? Her nose, her mouth, her stomach?

A CT scan is probably being recommended to image her sinuses and skull. You can't look up into a cat's nose for things like nasal polyps, so these days we use CT or MRI. Does she sneeze at all? If a cat has something like that in her sinuses, usually there is sneezing.

The first thing I would do is try to tell where the gurgling comes from. Did the veterinarians you saw actually hear her do it? If not, a video with sound might be helpful.

Is she losing any weight? Any coughing, sneezing, vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The sound comes from her nose and mouth and it is quite pronounced when she is licking the other cat. It almost sounds like she is blowing bubbles in a bathtub. No sneezing, coughing, weight loss or vomiting. Both vets did hear it. Another family member said the bridge of her nose is swollen but I did not notice that.

From your description, it could be coming from her nose/sinuses. You do not see any actual bubbles from her mouth or nose?

If both vets heard it, and want to do a CT, then they must suspect a problem in an area like her sinuses that can't be seen another way.

Has anything been tried? If it comes from her nose, you could try children's nose drops, such as "Little Noses" once to twice daily and see if that affects the gurgling.

She could be sedated for a good look in her mouth and throat, and to feel along her soft palate that separates the nasal sinuses from the mouth for any abnormal areas, before doing the CT.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not see any bubbles. I don't see why they cannot make an educated guess and just start treatment?

It is hard to start treatment, if you do not know what you are treating! If I were going to do that, I would try the nose drops I mentioned above.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you mean I should squirt those nose drops up her nose? She will never tolerate that. Any other ideas for me to try?

What I would do is put a drop of Little Noses on her nose, and hold her head up so that a little runs into each nostril.

It is a clue about the bridge of her nose possibly being swollen. If she were mine and was making this weird noise, I would at least try to get an Xray of it. Since she has to be sedated for that, I would take a good look into her mouth and throat, run my finger along her soft palate, etc.

Pe Min Kan Wan is a Chinese herb that can help with nasal congestion; it would be a safe thing to try if you can get her to take a pill once to twice daily. It is availabe online and many drug/supplement stores.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

How is she doing? I have not heard back from you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where can I get a lower cost CT scan? Do the vet schools offer them like human medical schools do? Also, what are the risks if I do nothing? She does not seem to be bothered as it actually bothers me more than her with all the slurping sounds she makes. It is the most pronounced when she is preening herself. Is it possible it is a totally benign condition that may correct itself?
Thanks.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner; I have been out of the country.

Vet schools would do CT scans, but probably not any less than private hospitals. Where do you live? I could tell you where the nearest vet school is.

It could be benign, or it could be if you find the problem there is no good treatment. How is the swelling on the bridge of her nose?

How Vespa doing?

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. If I can answer anything else, please let me know.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is Vespa?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian