Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat went into hideing for 3 days! Found him and settled

Customer Question
My cat went into hideing...
My cat went into hideing for 3 days! Found him and settled him indoors.however hes acting like hes drunk wont eat r drink?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that i know off hes a rag doll normally only goes out for a wee then gets back in ned with me. He dosnt stray
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Buddy but i call him barbra hes alittle feminate ha ha. Hes 11 and normally fit and well
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about barbra?
Customer: No hes been fixed since a kitten he wont eat drink and appears drunk fallen side ways. His resp was alittle raised this evening and using his abdo muscles but that appears to have settled now cause hes finally sleeping
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
10/4/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn your cat is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Does he have a head tilt?

3- Any vomiting?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Normally fit and well not vomitted since i found him this evening not sure if he has when he hideing if he tilts his head he falls over

1- I am confused, so he is tilting his head?

2- Can you look inside his ears for evidence of an infection like redness, discharge, bad odor, etc.?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not passed urine.pale gums. No abnormal sounds when breathing yes head tilted to left However its like hes fighting not to fall asleep. Gums pale
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry ears just waxy discharge

Can you touch his belly and see if he reacts like in pain?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Earlier this evening he faced the wall crying appeared disorientated. Its like hes drunk

Thank you so much for your patience and answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have examined him from top to toe checking for any injurys however hes not a very vocal fellow. Would i be able to palpate a bladder? However im presuming hes very dehydrated. I am syringing 10mls of water against his will is that the right thing to do?

Friend, I am sorry your cat is not feeling well. In response to your question, when a cat is walking like if he is drunk this can be caused by many different medical conditions. In general, we can classify this in two main categories:

1- Central nervous system disorders. Ex: Vestibular disease, infections, thromboembolic (stroke like), etc.

2- Systemic diseases: Diabetes, heart disease, urinary blockage, toxicity, liver disease, anemia, fever, etc.

The fact that he is so lethargic and you are seeing pale gums I would want to rule out a systemic disease. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I am a bit concern about his current state, this could be fatal if he not treated by a veterinarian quickly. There is really nothing that I can recommend for you to do at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend taking him to the nearest ER veterinarian. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

In response to your question, yes, if he is blocked you could easily feel a distended large bladder in the mid-caudal abdomen.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian