Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

He is drinking a lot of water. He is under weight and has

Customer Question
had diarrhea. JA: I'll do all...
He is drinking a lot of water. He is under weight and has had diarrhea.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: He is drinking a lot of water. He is under weight and has had diarrhea.
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: He's been hiding under the bed lately.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tut male 9 years old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: He had a surgery years ago to remove a part of his intense because he swallowed a draw string and plastic
JA: Got it. Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I set up your one-on-one?
Customer: I believe that's it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
9/29/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has Tut had normal stool in the past?
2) Have there been any changes to his diet? new treats? human food?
3) When was blood work last performed on him? Any abnormalities?
4) Is he indoors only?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) Honestly, I cannot determine that but I know he just urinated.
2) Yes, I ran out of wet food so he ate cut up pieces of deli turkey. He is currently eating some wet food know.
3) Last year all was negative including Feline HIV
4) Yes he is a indoor cat

Do you recall when the water consumption increased? Was it recent or has this been long-term?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would say the water is recent and now he's finished eating, however, he's crouched over licking consistently. With his eyes closed.

It would behoove Tut to have blood work run to ensure that there is not an underlying cause for the weight loss and increased water consumption such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, etc. The diarrhea, on the other hand, is likely due to him having a change in his diet. The best approach there will be to use a diet that is higher in fiber that can help to calm the diarrhea and once his stool is formed again to slowly switch back to a food you want him to eat regularly.

To do this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. Blend in a blender until pureed into a pudding-like thickness. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Tut?

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert