Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a neutered male cat, who's not quite a short hair…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a neutered male cat, who's not quite a short hair (he's a little too fluffy to be a true short hair.) He's been dealing with hair ball issues for the last 2 weeks. He has thrown up 2, 1 on Saturday and then another yesterday. He also has thrown up and produced no hair balls. He's still defecating and passing hair that way as well. My concern is that I'm not sure if we are out of the woods or if this should require vet attention. He's always had hair balls on and off.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

I've been giving him a commercial hair ball paste and switched his food to wet food with extra water. Im concerned because I've caught him trembling a few times. Once over the weekend, but we had a tropical storm pass through so I thought it was anxiety related, he's usually afraid of them and hides. Then a 2nd time after he threw up yesterday morning (threw 1 hair ball at 6 AM, then tried to eat again around 8 AM and threw up the watery wet food, no hair.) I just caught him trembling again but I had startled him awake. I know that the trembling can be pain related as well. Not to my knowledge, he doesn't usually get into things.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Not really, he's been rather healthy since I've had him. He's 5 years old. He did have urine crystals once, when he was under 1 year old but no problems with that since then.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
9/7/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 1 year ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well. The trembling can be due to nausea. It could very well be anxiety related.

Feel all over his body for any pain response. Look in his mouth for a stuck item or any abnormalities.

Make sure he is able to eliminate normally.

Give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri