Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My female cat is urinating outside of the litter box. This

Customer Question

My female cat is urinating outside of the litter box. This is not all the time, 2 years ago my 18 year old male cat died which left me with 2 female cats, bot around 41/2 years old. Bianca started haning this problem about 6 months after he died. She started urinating on my bed. That finally stopped. For awile started urinating on the litter mat that stopped for about 6 months. I moved almost 3 months ago with no problems until last week when she started urinating on rug by my door and was in litter box room. I finally had to tske thst rug up. Now she is urinating on the litter box mats. Ive gone through 3 of them. Each time I take her to the vet and they say she is fine. Im getting ready to tske hrr to vet again. Ive tried getting a second litter box,but that didn't help. I've had animals all my life and never ran into this problem before. Can you help me?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome.My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you. I'm so sorry you did not receive an earlier answer, but the site is experiencing a problem with this category and I was just able to access your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated!My condolences on the loss of your male 18 year old cat, two years ago; this not only affected you, but your female cats, as well. They do grieve as humans do.I'm sorry you're having this problem with Bianca. Cats will eliminate outside the box for many reasons. I'm glad you've had her seen by the vet and plan to bring her, again. If a urinalysis or urine culture were not yet done, request those two tests, in addition to a full blood work-up to make sure there is no underlying medical condition for this problem.I'm glad you got a second litterbox and make sure both your litterboxes are open and you're using unscented litter; also make sure both boxes are placed in areas that are not very noisy (like next to an appliance) and also, not near each other. Make sure to scoop the box several times a day or right after you see one of your female cats make a 'deposit.'Cats 'talk' with their waste. Bianca may be letting you know that she is upset or unhappy about something, she's not feeling well, or she might be marking territorially, which is instinctive. Get some Feliway plug in diffusers; these emit cat calming pheromones to help with stress and anxiety and is helpful in resolving inappropriate elimination issues. Here is more information:http://www.feliway.com/us
------You can also get some 'Cat Attract' litter and/or litter additive; these contain herbal attractants that encourage use of the litterbox. You can add one of these to her current litter.https://drelseys.com/product/cat-attract/
--------https://drelseys.com/product/cat-attract-litter-additive/
-------It's also important to clean the areas where she soils, with an enzyme-based product like Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, Odor Mute and many more available in your pet supplies store. Just make sure they say 'enzyme' and for organic (pet) stains/odors. If she can't smell where she's gone before, she would be unlikely to return to the same spots.Pick up all area rugs, bathmats, etc., so she's not tempted to urinate there. Stop using the litter mats and put some newspaper or a large plastic bag under the litterboxes.Cats usually use the box after they eat, so place her in the box and scratch at the litter gently, with her front paw, to let her know what to do, and see if she goes. If not, wait 10 minutes and put her in again. If she finally does 'something', praise her highly and give her a cat-healthy treat as a reward.I like to leave the suggestion of a prescription medication as a last resort, so if none of these ideas work (give it some time), discuss with your vet, a medication like Clomicalm (there are many to choose from). Here is more information:http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/behavior-training/normal-behavior/feline-urine-marking
-------I hope things improve for Bianca and you, soon!Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site, for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.Warmest regards,
Cher