Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I've read similar stories about kitten abscesses and want to

Customer Question
make sure THAT'S what's wrong...
I've read similar stories about kitten abscesses and want to make sure THAT'S what's wrong or if it's something completely different. I've previously treated my 2 year old male cat's absess he received from fighting with the neighborhood cat's... but this seems different. I'll start at the beginning... almost two weeks ago I noticed a mama with 5 kittens had made the far end of my property home. I could get the mama cat to come to me and welcomed petting. No such luck with her babies, they were very skiddish. I put some food and water out for the skinny bunch and noted they were completely weaned from their mother. Well one night a kitten came a little too close to some lawn equipment and a down volleyball net and became caught up in it. Instead of releasing him as a stray I brought him inside with hopes of helping him gain some weight and, if he warmed up to me, offer him a permanent home. So here's one of my questions: since he was born a stray, will be ever become a doscile pet? How do I socialize him? He comes out of hiding at night once my kids have settled down and have gone to sleep... but will only come to me and still very hesitantly meowing every few steps... and the next question: during one of our midnight bonding sessions, I felt a bump almost right over his spine... It's about half way down from the middle of his back to the base of the tail, about the size of a silver dollar round. The difference between this one and the two I've treated on my older cat is that there's two small holes. One is perfectly round and about the size of pencil lead and the other hole is less symmetrical and larger. I tried a warm compress and some gentle squeezing to drain it, but to my surprise, there was only a few drops that came out. Is it the same thing as my other cat? I've read about stone similar stories but the culprit being some type of fly larvae... how should i treat it at home, if possible? And how to I get him to come out during the day? His escape is my basement, should I close that door so he has to stay upstairs and get used to everyone? Any and all advice is much appreciated! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this... i hope i described it well enough.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
8/5/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian

My name is***** and thank you for the detailed description of your kitty's problems. I will try to answer your questions in order.

1) Socialization- this is a slow and gentle process for feral cats. You are doing the right thing by allowing him to take his time getting used to your household. I would encourage him with gentle touching and soft voices. The kids need to be slow and quiet around him. They can also offer his food to him where he can see them do it. It may take 6 or more months for him to fully warm up to the family.

2) The wound you are describing is similar to the fly larvae called Cuterebra. Can you send a picture of the wound up close?

Dr. Amanda

How is your kitten this evening? How is the wound? Has it changed at all? Do you have any more questions for me?

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian