Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

He's 14 years old, CKD (beginning stages). He has a sore on

Customer Question
his upper joint of hind...
He's 14 years old, CKD (beginning stages). He has a sore on his upper joint of hind leg....he has been wearing a cone for 2 months but keeps messing with it despite the cone. He's too smart. Without the cone, he would chew it until it bled.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?
Customer: The vet gave him antibiotics, feline prozac....had no more ideas
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
7/30/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a picture of him wearing the cone AND of the wound on his leg?
2) How did the sore occur?

It certainly looks like his collar is long enough.

There are three things that you may wish to try.

1) Doubling up on the collars. Either using a longer one so that he cannot get his leg in front of his face or ALSO using a soft collar that falls back against his shoulders that will come forward over the front of the hard cone if his leg extends forward.

Like this: http://www.entirelypets.com/elizacollars.html?mr:trackingCode=17898A05-EC27-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotiononline&mr:ad=61553315950&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-146310241990&mr:ploc=9026249&mr:iloc=9026259&mr:store=&mr:filter=146310241990&gclid=CKeW0dOcms4CFYqIfgodraECcA

2) Using a wrap over the leg so that he cannot chew on this area.

Like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YbCED6BXK8s/TiQahqR_wZI/AAAAAAAABSQ/BT73S1OBRiA/s1600/IMG_0076.JPG

3) Using a spray like Bitter Apple or an ointment like Yuk!

Yuk! https://www.amazon.com/Yuk-2e-Anti-Lick-0-5oz-Tube/dp/B00076NTEG

The yuk! ointment is absolutely terrible. If you use this one, apply with a gloved hand. You don't want it in your mouth by accident.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's so hot right now that I can't imagine putting two devices on him....but the ointment sounds good. How many times per day would I need to apply it? Should I still use a cone and the ointment at the same time? Thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the ointment safe for him since he has kidney disease?

Ideally, just one. It should not harm his kidneys if he licks it but it may induce frothing or even vomiting. It's VILE and after one taste cats usually won't bother doing it again. It tastes terrible, but not meant to heal the wound. Only meant to keep them from licking. You may only need apply once every few days depending on him.

You definitely should continue using the cone to prevent as much as you can. Some cats will redirect and make other wounds and we don't want that.

Sorry for the delay. I hadn't heard back in 30 minutes and assumed you had gone offline and signed off too.

Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 1 year ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

PitRottmommy has given you excellent information.

I just want to add something I think can help. However, please rate HER ANSWER since she started with you.

All you need to put on that wound is raw honey several times a day. It is a remarkable healing agent, safe to lick and for a cat with kidney disease.Get it in any health food store or even Walmart:

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheated

http://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html

Two supplements that are very useful in the management of cats with kidney disease are Azodyl and Epakitin. These products help the body to eliminate waste products more efficiently, when the kidneys aren't working well. They are manufactured by Vetoquinol, and can be ordered by your veterinarian.

I can give you several recipes that were formulated by Hills and distributed to vets berfore Science diet was on the market. Royal canin makes a very palatable renal food as well.

C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet):
1 lb regular ground beef, cooked
1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only) cooked
1 cup cooked white rice without salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)
1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+3/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding
5lb 1/5lb
7-8lb 1/4lb
10lb 1/3lb

_____________________________________________________________________________

K/D recipe - feline

(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):

1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)

2 cups cooked white rice without salt

2 large hard-cooked eggs

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)

Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+1/4lbs

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding

5lb 1/4lb

7-8lb 1/3lb

10lb 2/5lb

Good luck and please don't forget to accept HER ANSWER,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert