Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Why does my cat lick me? How can I get her to stop?

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question.

Your cat licks you because she's showing affection--these are cat 'kisses.' Cats groom each other as a sign of affection. She might have been separated from her mom and siblings too early and didn't have a chance to lick them and be socialized properly. In addition, she likes the taste of your skin--typically salty. If your use any lotions, creams, etc., don't let her lick you, as those substances could be toxic to her.

To get her to stop, kiss her and say 'I love you, too!' and put her down (if she and you are on the couch, for example.). You can also just leave the room or get her interested in a toy, when she starts licking. You can also wear long sleeves and long pants, and she won't want to lick you.

I hope things improve, soon!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, again!

I'm just checking in with you to make sure that you received my answer and found it helpful. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It seems you are not reading my messages. Is there a problem in receiving email from JustAnswer? Please let me know if there is, so I can report it and have it fixed.

Can you please make sure to read my answer and rate positively, so I am compensated for my assistance? Thank you, ***** ***** be greatly appreciated!

Warmest regards,

Cher