Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

She keeps gagging and seems lethargic. She eats but not as

Customer Question
She keeps gagging and seems...
She keeps gagging and seems lethargic. She eats but not as eagerly as normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is 2 years this month. We rescued her about 1.5 years ago and this is the first time she has gagged repeatedly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Merry?
Customer: She has all of her shots and had a checkup in March with zero issues
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
7/18/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 1 year ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

How long is Merry acting this way?

What and when did she eat last?

Any sneezing or coughing?

Is she having normal bowel movements?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She ate this am. She has been like this since last Thursday I haven't noticed sneezing but it seems like a cough or a gag. Her bowel movements are normal

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

There are two possibilities. fortunately neither are serious.

That type of gagging can be caused by a sore throat.

Rub a drop of honey into her gums. It will sooth her throat and also raise her blood sugar in case she is hypoglycemic. That should perk her up. Then give her 2 drops of honey every 4 hours.

The other possibility is nausea.

For that:

Give her one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

If she gets dehydrated give her tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how she is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert