Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My just turned 2 year old cat is dependent on me for food,

Customer Question
water, play and attention etc...
my just turned 2 year old cat is dependent on me for food, water, play and attention etc. My husband give him a few head scratches and the cat is respectful of him, never scratched or even attempted to bite him. At night if Henry the cat, comes into sleep with me in the last 5 nights he has attacked me viciously scratching, biting and causing several scratch and bit marks. This happened back in Dec 2015, I was put on IV antibiotics for 2 1/2 weeks and then orals for 2 weeks. Quite serious! still happening. What am I doing to aggravate this behavior when he is so passive and afraid of everyone that comes into our home?? I don't want to get rid of him , just figure out this aggressive behavior! Thanks for your help. Chris *******
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/7/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, Chris and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you with your question about Henry.

I'm so sorry this is happening and I'm also sorry for all you had to go through, medically, last December!

Many times, a normal, loving, passive cat will show this sudden aggression when he has experienced a startling or frustrating situation and then, his aggression is 'misdirected' towards the human (or other pet) he feels closest to, in the home. I don't think you're doing anything specific to aggravate this behavior. it's possible he may be jealous of your husband and he gets upset when you go to sleep in the same bed. Here is more information about redirected or misdirected aggression in cats:

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/redirected-aggression-in-cats/

--------------

You can start using Feliway plug in diffusers which emit calming pheromones that only cats can detect; it has no scent to humans. This might help him feel more secure and less stressed.

http://www.feliway.com/us

-------------

Calming pheromones also come in a collar, so the cats wears it 24/7 and is always smelling the pheromones. Here are two types:

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/cat/cat-health-and-wellness/sentry-calming-collar-for-cats

-------------

http://www.entirelypets.com/naturecalmcat.html

-------------

You can also put 'soft paws', vinyl claw caps on his claws to prevent serious scratches.

http://www.softpaws.com/

----------------

It would also be a good idea to have Henry checked out by his vet, to make sure there is no underlying medical condition which is causing him to be this aggressive or is causing him pain.

I hope this helps and Henry will return to his loving self, very soon!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Hello again, Chris.

I'm just checking in to see how everything is going with Henry and if you received my answer. If you did (hopefully), please let me know if you found it helpful and/or select a positive rating from the ratings box on your page. If you don't do this, the site will not credit me for my help.

If you have any further questions related to this question, please don't hesitate to ask any follow-ups, for which there is no additional charge. Thanks!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist