Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My brother meows but has a very low meow sometimes no sound,

Customer Question
my brother meows but has...
my brother meows but has a very low meow sometimes no sound
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: the cat seem normal except he meows but no sound is this normal
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't know
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: he is my brother cat I'm checking on him everyday while he out of town he seems be ok he not eating much I fiqure its the heat, his breathing doesn't seem right to me but ok
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: jingles age I would say 2 to 3 yrs not sure
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jingles?
Customer: none as I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
7/7/2016
Cat Vet: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Jingles is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your brother's cat over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is not eating as much and you have concerns about his breathing makes me think that it is possible that your cat is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in a cat of this age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible. Also where a cat has a respiratory infection they can sometimes lose their voice.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get Jingles to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and if possible make sure he is taking fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Jingle's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.