Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Cant breath very well. sandy pants... shes a rescue,

Customer Question

cant breath very well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: sandy pants... shes a rescue, estimated at 8 but vet said maybe older than we realised
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: her breath smells of rubbish. she has been given anti inflamatory drugs and two types of antibiotic including one for an upper respiritory infection, but she still cant breath - very conjested. im just worried its someting else
JA: There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Sandy Pants is not feeling well.

If she is congested she can have an antihistamne.

Any of these are acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

rotten breath can be due to infection or dental issues.

If she is congested make a steam room by running a hot shower in your bath room. Take her in for ten minute intervas to break it up.

Feed her very odorous foods so she can easily smell them and will keep eating.Canned food, tuna, salmon, sardines.

Bacterial infections are treated with antibiotics like clavamox or clindamycin. Viral infections are treated with l-lysine.

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

Add 500 mg to her water every day.

Give her tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is important to note that she hasn't eaten since sunday evening and she is a hyperthyroid cat so also has not had her medication either. we are putting blended food into her mouth by syringe. is this the end? the vets said bring her in if she isn't better by tomorrow. she has had baytril and loxicom today, as it is apparently specific for an uri. shoud i try to feed her or just let her rest ... basically, is there still a fight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she also had a different antibiotic by injection yesterday and metaformin constantly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are the meds you have suggested ok if she has also had the above basically? and are we still in the fight?
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Yes, she can take an antihistamine with the above.

I believe she is not eating because she is unable to smell her food.

Drain the water from a can of tuna and see if she will lap it up for hydration. If she does, offer some tuna.

Get a jar of human baby food chicken or beef with no onion or garlic.

Try smelly canned foods like fancy feast.

Give her an antihistamine

Take her in a steamy bathroom

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri