Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Cat is bleeding. I'm not sure if it is from her rectum or in her Urine. I first noticed it today when she got up from

Customer Question
She is bleeding. I'm...
She is bleeding. I'm not sure if it is from her rectum or in her Urine. I first noticed it today when she got up from the rocking chair and it had watery blood on her sheet. Then about two hours later she went to the litter box and a pool of blood was on the floor just outside the box. She is a 6.5 year old Manx
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Riely
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ripely?
Customer: No, she is eating and drinking water right now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
7/4/2016
Cat Vet: CVT_in_MN, CVT replied 1 year ago
CVT_in_MN

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Is Riely spayed?

Did you see any feces near the blood?

If you look at her rectum, do you see any sign of blood?

Has she been upset due to fireworks or any other stresses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is spayed
No, I did not see any feces near the blood
No blood on rectum that I can see
A couple of weeks ago, my daughter brought over her new 10 rescued puppy and Riely had never had another animal in the home. She started marking a particular spot in the living room and I cleaned the entire carpet with Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer. She has not sprayed since. That is the only stress that she has had. Although she was pretty upset.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It sounds to me like this could be bloody urine rather than feces. And unfortunately, bleeding during urination can be caused by many things that range from the rather benign (like a urinary tract infection) to the more dangerous (such as bladder cancer). In addition, there are issues like bladder stones or kidney disease that can present with bloody urine.

Stones are caused by things such as minerals in the urine, bacteria, certain medications, an excess of Vitamin C in the diet or even their diet (which can affect the pH of the urine). Usually a course of antibiotics and a diet change to a prescription diet takes care of the problem.

Kidney disease can happen in any breed and unfortunately, at most any age. The contributing factors can include dehydration, cardiac issues, tumors, blood loss from traumas and both infections and ingestion of toxins. Even some medications can impair kidney function and lead to kidney disease. Generally this is treated with supportive care to keep the dog comfortable and to help improve kidney function.

Urinary tract infections (also known as UTIs) are the number one most common cause for bloody urine in cats. The infection can be located anywhere in the urinary tract from the bladder to the kidneys. Certain medications and underlying health problems such as diabetes or viral infections can also lead to UTIs. In cats, even stress can result in bloody urine and UTIs, and since Riley wasn't a giant fan of the puppy, it's definitely possible that's what set this off.

The important thing is to have your cat seen by a vet as soon as possible for evaluation of the blood in the urine. Bloody urine is never 'normal' and can get worse if left untreated. Your vet will likely want to run a urinalysis, so if you can catch urine from your cat before going (you can catch it up to 24 hours before your appointment, just keep it in a clean, closed container in your fridge. Do not leave it out of the fridge as that will cause bacteria to grow in the urine and may give you false positives). Hopefully it'll end up being nothing too severe, but early intervention is the key.

I do understand it's a holiday weekend, and most 'normal' vets aren't open until Tuesday, so you may want to look into having her seen at an emergency vet. You can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

If there is no emergency vet near you, then you can monitor her until your normal vet opens on Tuesday, but ideally, finding an emergency vet would be the best option.

I hope this helps

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, you only told me what I already figured. I need to take her to a Vet. Unfortunately I just spent $22 to hear you tell me to go to the vet. The first page said $5 but I see you charged $22. Please don't take any more as I am an elderly woman on SS and can't afford to spend any more it I an going to take her to the doctor.

I actually don't have anything to do with the money. I'm just an expert who answers questions.

I hope your cat is feeling better very soon.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN, CVT