nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

My 16 week old female kitten has a lump on her right side of

Customer Question

My 16 week old female kitten has a lump on her right side of her belly but it feels as if it's inside of her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: She has went off her food the last couple of days, she's only started to eat more today.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been present?

Does she seem sore when you feel the lump?

Can you confirm that it feels within the belly and not associated with the skin?

Has she had any issues passing stool or doing so less frequently?

Any chance of her eating something non-edible since this appeared?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've only just noticed the lump tonight, Yes she does react when feeling around the lump, it's within the belly not associated with the skin, I've notice she hasn't been using the kitty litter as often, there's a possibility but I'm not 100% sure as I only noticed the lump tonight.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see lumps associated with a range of conditions. Though to see one in a young cat that hasn't been eating well and is responsive when you press on the lump, we'd be most concerned about this being hard feces due to constipation but also a possible foreign body that she has eaten. Less often we can see this with high worm burdens and even when the gut constricts itself (though they are usually very sore with that).

With these both in mind, we do need to tread with care. If Lucy isn't vomiting and will eat now, we can try to encourage this suspected GI based lump to pass. To do so, we can start her on OTC cat hairball treatment since it is a mild GI lubricant and can help all our concerns to move through the gut. As well, we can try mixing a stronger GI lubricant (ie Lactulose, Miralax, etc) if the hairball treatment isn't enough into her food to again try to get this moving as well as any stool there.

Of course, while encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, relapse of the appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Her signs do raise some serious concerns. Though since she isn't' vomiting, we can try the above just now as we monitor her. Though if we don't get things moving in her gut and this isn't settling in the next 12-24 hours or if she develops any of those warning signs, we'd want to have her checked by her vet so we can address this for her and get her back to normal for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I get OTC cat hairball treatment from ?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Any pet store will carry this as well as some larger grocery stores. In a pinch, you can also get it from any local vet that may be open.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.