Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I orphaned a (what the vet told me) was a 5 week old cat.

Customer Question

I orphaned a (what the vet told me) was a 5 week old cat. We've tried stimulating her but she has not defecated in 3 days. She has poo on her anus area and she strains when see tries. It's clearly painful for her. She has peed numerous times and eats normal. I'm concerned for her. We tried using a syringe with just warm water as an enema and nothing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She mainly has been fed with formula - dry powder we mix. But she's explored kitten kibble moistened down
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry that your baby kitten has defecated in three whole days - that's an awfully long time!! I'll do my best to help. It looks like no one has been able to fulfill a phone call request (myself included) but I don't want you to have to wait all night - I thought I'd leave my thoughts here for you.

It's not unusual for baby kittens to become constipated or bound up. I'm glad that she's still eating normally, but if she doesn't start defecating on her own soon, that's likely to change. You've done a great job so far of troubleshooting at home, but it sounds like it's time to take her in to see your vet so that they can pick up where you left off. Unfortunately, enemas available for children can be very toxic to cats (especially kittens so young), which is why if she needs an enema it should be done by an experienced veterinarian. You say you were able to get a syringe into her rectum and administer warm water - how did you do this if there was feces stuck on her anus? Is it possible that the feces are more stuck in the fur? If feces are occupying the rectal orifice (the hole where the feces come out) then it would not be possible to pass a syringe into the rectum. If she's got a good bit of fur down there, I'd suggest using a pair of clippers to clip away the fur to free up the area. If you are seeing firm stool hanging out of the rectum you can try to warm compress it, moisten it, and massage it (like clay), but be careful not to pull, as this could cause a rectal prolapse. This is a delicate situation, which is why I suggest having her to your vet to sort it out as safely as possible.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.
~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara