petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

she will not eat. 9yr old female, spend the last week at the

Customer Question

she will not eat. 9yr old female, spend the last week at the vet's for a fever at first. she was put on antibiotics, started responding then began to decline fast 2 days later. fever is gone, all lab work came back negative for anything. started to get better friday, then began to decline again over the weekend. still would not eat through all of this. vet sent her home, because there was nothing else he could do. she's lost a lot of weight, still won't eat. breathing is shallow through mouth and nose.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Susie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Susie?
Customer: history of UTI's, but that was negative as well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Other than blood work, was there any other testing done? Xray? Ultrasound?

Any other medications besides antibiotics prescribed?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other meds or testing. Vet thought it was cancer, but no test indicated it was.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Cancer can be very hard to confirm and it is most often not found with blood work alone. If there was a fever, even though it is gone now, the source of what caused it needs to be identified, especially if she is not back to normal. The shallow breathing is a huge concern and if her chest has not been radiographed before now, that would be the first thing I would recommend. There could likely be cardiac or pulmonary disease present as a cause of her current symptoms.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z