nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

Cat birthed 5 kittens Sunday and today had had bouts of

Customer Question

Cat birthed 5 kittens Sunday and today had had bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. Is this normal? Still drinking and eating and nursing the kittens.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

In regards ***** ***** question, this is not normal; though it is not an uncommon situation. As I am sure you can appreciate your lass has devoted a lot of her body's resources and immune strength to develop her kittens, to provide milk, and to provide the kittens with colostrum (their own immune system for the next few weeks of life). Therefore, this often leaves mum vulnerable to picking up GI bugs or developing diarrhea secondary to worms.

Therefore, we need to give mum a hand and be proactive here. The reason is because diarrhea is going to lead to her losing a lot of fluid and nutrition that she needs for herself but also to keep making milk. Therefore, to start, if she has not been wormed already, it would be worth doing so now. Since she is lactating, we'd want to use Panacur, since this is safe for her and the kittens.

Further to this, there are some steps we can take to try to soothe her stomach and lower GI together. Specifically, we can start her on a pet safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if her diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for this lass while lactating, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) available from your local pharmacy (avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol, or any preparations with salicyclic acid/aspirin). Otherwise, Propectalin, Fast Balance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea but the last 2 will have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe her upset GI. Of course, if we use this to coat her stomach and her nausea/vomiting continues, we will want her local vet involved as we are limited in safe anti-nausea medication (in fact, the only one is Metoclopramide which is an oral or injectable treatment they can use) options for her at this stage.

Overall, this is not an uncommon situation for a new mum. Therefore, we want to provide supportive care, monitor/support her hydration, try to soothe her upset gut, and make sure she is wormed. If you do this but she isn't settling, then we'd need to get her vet involved so that he stool can be tested, Metoclopramide used to halt her vomiting, antibiotics dispensed to help clear any bacterial causes and get this addressed before it can take a toll on her body and milk production for her wee ones.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I buy panacur and what is the dosing?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Some online sites will allow you to do so, otherwise it is over the counter at most vets provided they have a recent weight for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet