Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

When laying down, then gets up stumbles and tips over,

Customer Question

when laying down, then gets up stumbles and tips over, drools from mouth, looks a little disoriented. does this every five minutes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: took 12 year old cat to vet. the cat then acted normal. vet gave male mankz an anti nausesia shot. got back home cat goes through same symptoms again. continuously.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Took?
Customer: this cat does not nibble on plants to our knowledge, no-leaking anti freeze, no rodent poisins on property.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Can you tell me is there any head tilt?

Did the Vet check the ear?

Do the eyes Dart?

Does he walk like drunk?

Does he have problems with ear infections?

Did the Vet do any blood work?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blood work. Checked on symptoms. They are related to toxicity . Cat is returning to normal behavior at this time. Eating, drinking , playing with toys.
Thank you
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The way you described the problem sounded like toxicity, seizure or vestibular issue. Without blood work it is impossible to determine what the cause was. In any case you have said the cat is doing better. The drooling is seen when nauseaus. With vestibular issues that is the part of the inner ear that allows all creatures to maintain balance. We see eyes dart, the drooling, the inability to walk normal and the falling over. Vestibular issues can be from toxins or other or can be idiopatic. We some times call it Old Cat or Dog disorder. You can read more about Vestibular Disorder here:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

I would talk with the Vet about this and I would also have some blood work done.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have sent an E-mail reply earlier.Symptom's resembled " TOXCICITY".The cat is back to normal. Took three days.Cat never stopped eating or drinking.Stumbling, staggering, drooling when getting up from laying position.
Thank you
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I had posted an answer, but do not know if you had seen it. This is what I suspected:

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see how your little one is doing? Would love an update.

Joan