nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

First how much JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong

Customer Question

First how much for information
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: She was playing with 7 stables on the floor how would you tell if a staple was swallowed
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is star she's 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Star?
Customer: No I carnt tell
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. The cost will be the amount you approved before ($22 from the looks of the question value). If you are happy with this, then can you tell me: How long ago was she playing with these and how many are missing?Has she had any retching, gagging, lip licking, appetite loss, or vomiting?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shes eating a little I haven't checked anything
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Are you able to do so or did you wish me just to outline what we may need to do in this situation?As well, how long has she been eating poorly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she was playing with them last night shes been licking the foods sauce she's lying around but she has also been walking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shes been usually licking paws etc as normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's all I now
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,First, its important to understand that the only way to definitively know if she ate any staples would be to have her vet xray her. Staples are metal based so they do tend to come up on xray allowing us to see if they have eaten them, where they are, and if they are causing any bother. And if found in the stomach, her vet can remove them via endoscope. Or if they are in the intestine, they start treatment to help these pass. Otherwise, if that is not an option, we can start some supportive care while monitoring her. In regards ***** ***** options, to start, since we have a possible sharp edged item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any damage caused by this moving through the GI. To do so, I would suggest treating her with OTC cat hair ball treatment. You can give this directly or mix it with food, but this will lubricate the gut and help this to pass. As well, we can add fiber (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin or 0.25tsp Metamucil mixed into food) to her diet to help coat the staples and push them out of the gut. Furthermore, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or meat baby food -as long as its garlic/onion free) for the next few days. These are easy on the stomach and often something our cats will eat. And of course, you can keep adding the above to this to encourage any staples to move through.While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. To confirm a staple, we'd need an xray. Though you can choose to use the above to see if you can improve her appetite and get any lurking staples to pass. While doing so we of course want to keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she passed these. Though any of those warning signs and we'd need her seen by her local vet. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting I rate a1 great
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Good, I am very glad that she isn't vomiting. So, do use the above and hopefully we can get her eating better and passing any staples she may have eaten.Best wishes,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the stars on your page) once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you tell their traumatising
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou how can you tell if their traumatising
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,If she has belly discomfort, then we'd be concerned that they are irritating or possibly damaging the gut. Otherwise, the only way to tell without testing that there has been damage would be to see black stool (digested blood) and paling gums as those would confirm bleeding in the GI. Still, hopefully we won't see that with her.Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's great news all the best doc thanks buy
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,All the best,Dr. B. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet