Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have 3 hybrids Savannah/jungle cat. I wanted to

Customer Question
Hello I have 3 hybrids...
Hello I have 3 hybrids Savannah/jungle cat. I wanted to know what kind of diet I should feel them to make them healthy and to where they get a a good size
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
5/18/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome. How old are your Savannah's, now? What are they currently eating? Do they have a feeding schedule or are they free-fed dry food, which is available all the time? Thanks for all your additional information and after your reply please allow me some time to send your detailed answer. Warmest regards,Cher
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They were born mid feb of this year. I got then dry food good food like blue and they don't seem to want it so I feed them a high dollar can food but it cost so much that I wanted to move them to dry food but can't get them to really eat it
Hello again, and thanks for your very helpful reply. Which was the high dollar canned food you were feeding and did they like it? Do you have males or females or a mixture of both? I wanted to let you to know that I'm working on your answer, and will send it when completed. Your patience is greatly appreciated! Warmest wishes,Cher
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Females
Hi again, and thanks for letting me know you have all females. Also, thank you for waiting; as you can see, I had a lot to say! : ) It is generally recommended to feed only wet food, because that is healthiest, but if you want to leave a some high quality dry food out for 'grazing' (eating when they feel like it, that's okay, too). An ideal situation is to Feed them 2-3 meals of high quality canned food and leave the dry food out for nibbling. Keep in mind that they are growing kittens and need a lot of protein, vitamins and minerals, that their food will provide. Most people find that on-demand feeding with dry food, in addition to a serving of wet food in the morning and evening works best for their cats and their own schedule. Having fresh water available at all times is especially important, when the cat is eating dry food, but, of course, is important always. Here is a set of articles written by an esteemed feline vet, that provides information on the best way to feed our cats: http://catinfo.org/--------Because Savannah's can grow to be between 10 and30 lbs., amounts of food they require will vary, but since they're now only kittens, it is recommended to feed canned food three times a day, until they are six months old, and then twice a day as the kitten matures. The typical gauge is how much the kittens will eat in 15 minutes and can be adjusted to each kitten's habits. If you feed wet food, remember that it contains meat and that can spoil if left out (unrefrigerated) for a period of time, so after a cat eats, when he walks away from the bowl, if he does not return within 15-20 minutes to eat more, pick up the bowl and wash it out, ready for the next feeding.In this way, you are not wasting food, as long as there is always dry food available for them to snack on, and lots of fresh water. When you feed them the rest of the can of refrigerated food, put it into a microwavable dish and very slightly heat in the microwave on a low setting, just to take the chill out of it. Most cats don't like to eat cold food. Also, mix after warming and check with your finger, for any hot spots, as sometimes, it heats unevenly. While I realize the high quality canned food is costly, because you have 3 kittens, you can order in bulk, online (or even from your pet supply store), and this will cost less. The most important thing about a good quality cat/kitten food, is that the first ingredient is real protein, like meat or fish (no meat by-products). Also, it should be grain-free and not include any soy, wheat, corn, gluten, carageenan, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, as these are common allergens for cats. Some well recommended canned (and dry) foods for both cats and kittens, are: Wellness, Wellness CORE, EVO, Felidae, and others that you will find in your pet supply store. Just read the label with ingredients, to know if it's a good food or not. If you must buy supermarket food, due to the financial aspect, canned Fancy Feast is considered the best of that variety. Even though the high quality foods are expensive, keep in mind that if you feed them well, now, this will avoid costly vet bills in the future. I hope all will be well with your 3 cuties (I LOVE the Savannah breed!)! I hope you found this information helpful and will please take a moment to choose a positive rating from the ratings box at the top of your page, and then click 'submit'; this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you, today. Thank you very much! I will always be here if you need additional information, so just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue. There is no charge for follow-ups. Warmest wishes,Cher
Hi again, I also wanted to add that to the Savannah's diet, taurine is very important (it's important in every cat's diet, but Savannah's may need more than the average domestic cat). Taurine is now a requirement of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). Any dry or wet food approved by AAFCO will have a minimum of 0.1% taurine in dry food and 0.2% in wet food. If you're using poor quality foods, the absence of taurine can cause eye problems and irreversible blindness, a condition known as central retinal degeneration (CRD).It can also cause hair loss, tooth decay and feline dilated cardiomyopathy (enlarged and weakened heart) which unlike CRD, can be reversed with supplementation. However, before supplementing your high quality cat food, it is always best to consult with your veterinarian. Warmest regards,Cher
I also just recalled that you can try this food when they become adults (after 1 year of age):www.wildcalling.com It is formulated especially for Bengals, Savannahs and other specific breeds. The best thing is, they don't charge for shipping and their ingredients are impressive. Take a look at their website and see what you think.
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist