Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

How do i get my cat to not pee on my bed. this is the 2nd time

Customer Question
in 8 days. I understood...
how do i get my cat to not pee on my bed. this is the 2nd time in 8 days. I understood she didn't like the catio I built for her outside, she was only in it briefly 1/2 hr for 3 days . the 4th day she peed on my bed. the for a week I wouldn't let her in my bedroom at night because I was concerned she would pee on my bed when i was sleeping. so she was put in another room for a week so I can close my bedroom door. and tonite she peed on my bed when i wasn't looking. I used to allow her on my bed, until the catio outdoor enclosure incident. what do i do to cure this behavior. she just had a comprehensive at vets about 2 weeks ago. So I know it is not physical
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
5/18/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, and welcome.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this problem with your cat. I would love to help, but just need some additional information from you, first:

How old is your cat?

What is her name?

Is she spayed?

Was a urinalysis part of her physical at the vet's?

What are you using to clean/wash your bedding, where she eliminates?

Has she urinated in any other places around the house?

Is she still using her litterbox for urination and defecation?

How many litterboxes do you have and are they open or closed?

How do you react with her, when she does this on your bed?

Do you have any other pets?

How do you know she doesn't like the catio, because she wouldn't spend a lot of time in it?

Thanks for all your additional information and after your reply, please allow me some time to go through it, then compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Hi again,

I did want to get some additional information from you, but, I didn't want you to wait any longer for an answer.

Cats peeing in inappropriate places is a very common problem for cat-parents and it has many causes. I'm very glad that you had her checked out a couple of weeks ago and all was well, but please keep in mind that there still may be an underlying medical problem causing her inappropriate elimination. It could be coincidental, but if a urinalysis and urine culture were not done at her visit, it's possible she could have a urinary tract infection, bladder infection, kidney issue or interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is an inflammation in the bladder but there is no infection present. It is often caused by stress. Here is more information:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/02/21/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease.aspx

--------

If you feel the catio incident is what started this problem, then she is stressed and anxious and although it sounds lovely, she's probably afraid you'll put her in there, again and for some reason, she feels afraid in there for some reason.

If you have only 1 litterbox in the house, add one in a different part of the house. Make sure both litterboxes are uncovered and use an unscented litter. You can also add 'Cat Attract', a kitty litter additive to her regular litter; this contains herbal attractants that encourage use of the litterbox.

Also, get some Feliway spray and plug-in diffusers. These contain cat-calming pheromones that are only detected by cats and have no scent to humans. Put a plug-in in your bedroom, and put another one in a room where she spends the most time, like the livingroom or den, etc. Here is more information:

http://www.feliway.com/us

-----

There are two other, over the counter, oral calming products that you could try, but only choose one; they cannot be given simultaneously, but using one of them along with the Feliway, won't be a problem:

Rescue Remedy for Pets

--------

Composure treats

--------

It's also important that you wash your bedding in detergent with an enzyme based additive to completely remove the stain/odor of the cat urine:

http://www.natures-miracle.com/products/pet-odor-stain-removers/laundry-boost-additive.aspx

--------

This is important, so she doesn't smell the scent of where she's gone before and want to return there. After washing your linen lightly spray with Feliway; this should fool her into thinking she already marked there. Also, keep your bedroom door closed all the time, so she has no access to your bed and if you can't keep the door closed all the time, put a plastic tarp over your bed, with strips of double-stick tape all over it, because cats don't like 'sticky' under their paws.

I understand that you wanted to enrich her environment with the catio, but since it was a problem, you can get her some new toys, divide them into groups and switch them out every few days, so she feels like she's getting 'new' ones, each time. This list is great and includes a cat dvd:

http://www.pawswhiskersandclaws.com/pwc%20foraging.pdf

http://www.zootoo.com/pet-product/cat-toys/funkitty-twist-n-treat

http://www.batarat.com/

http://www.catdvd.com/

http://www.shopfatcat.com/Cat-Toys_c_7.html

http://www.amazon.com/FroliCat-BOLT-Interactive-Laser-Pet/dp/B0021L8W6K

--------

Also, make sure she has a tall cat tree or kitty condo with different levels and 'hidey' holes, for playing, sleeping and scratching (these are usually covered in carpet material).

Try spending more time with her, have play sessions and cuddle sessions and speak gently to her all the time, to reassure her.

I only like to recommend a prescription medication as a last resort, but discuss this with your vet and even though there are many different medications for this type of problem, I find that Clomicalm is well-recommended.

http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/behavior-training/normal-behavior/feline-urine-marking

---------

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know and/or take a moment to choose a positive rating from the top of your page and then click 'submit'; this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you, today. Thank you very much!

I will always be here if you need additional information; just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with your kitty.

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know. Also, if you have any further questions about this issue, please reply and I will be more than happy to continue our conversation.

I look forward to hearing from you and if you found my answer helpful, please remember to rate positively, so I will receive credit from the site for my time and assistance. Thank you very much!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Hi again,

I see that you have not yet read my answer.

My primary goal is to be of help to you and your kitty. I know people get busy and forget to check the answers they may have received, after asking a question.

I'm hoping you will get a chance to read my answer and if you need any additional information, just click "Reply"; if you found my information helpful, please provide a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated by the site, for my assistance. Remember, if you need additional information about this issue, do not rate negatively, just click "Reply" before rating.

Thank you very much! I look forward to your response or rating!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist