Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have a 16 yr old kitty and he hasn't peed in almost 12

Customer Question
I have a 16 yr...
I have a 16 yr old kitty and he hasn't peed in almost 12 hrs, he goes to the litter box and gets in but nothing comes out. He had colon surgery a week and two days ago to remove backed up stool and he is 16 yrs old. He also has been diagnosed with spinal cord cancer last June. He is currently taking Gabapentin 100 mg three times a day and Prednisone 10 mg twice daily. Please help, I can't get any of the vets here where I live to return a phone call. Is he in danger from not being able to pee since the last time he went was over 12 hrs ago. He is also taking Zeniquin for any possible infection he could have had after surgery on his colon. He also hasn't had a bowel movement since this past Sunday and the vet wasn't concerned as of yesterday about that being she said he was cleaned out when she did surgery and didn't have much in there. I did give him to 3 ml of lactlulose twice today though and he hasn't been yet with that either. HELP please!!!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
4/22/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, I'm sorry that your boy has gone through so much. A male cat not being able to pee is a medical emergency. He may have a urethral blockage and in that case, would need to be catheterized by the vet to empty his bladder. Do you have any ER vet centers nearby? Do you know that the vets you've called have emergency services/after hours? I would not wait for a call back and bring him to an ER vet clinic immediately, so he can be assessed and treated. Unfortunately, a urethral blockage cannot be treated at home. I hope all will be well with you furry boy! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.Warmest regards,Cher
If you're not sure of the location of an ER vet hospital, check here: http://www.vetlocator.com/hotline.php Also, here is more information about urethral obstructions: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/UrinaryConcerns.cfm-----------Please let me know how things are going and if you find an ER vet to see him. Thanks,Cher
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just got off the phone with one of the vets here and he didn't seem all that concerned. He said to just wait until morning and check with the vet that did the colon surgery. Said they would have to sedate him to put a catheter in and that would be dangerous given his age and the surgery he already had and his health.
Well, I'm glad you were able to get in touch with one of the vets there, but I'm surprised at him not being concerned. I agree that being sedated would be dangerous at his age, considering the recent surgery and his other health concerns. Let's hope he's not blocked and you'll see how he does through the night. My best thoughts and prayers are with you and your boy that all will be well! Warmest wishes,Cher
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My cat just went to the litter box again with my help and he was straining and when he got out he his stool had come out, just one round bit, not very big and that's all. Would that be normal since he hadn't gone since this past Sunday and I have been feeding his Science Hills ad urgent care wet canned food, about one can since Tuesday when I brought him home and also I gave him 3 ml of lactlusose twice today? At least he can pass stool after his surgery to remove the backed up stool, but concerning to me because that is the way he was doing before, one ball at a time. So discouraged again.
Hi again, Well, it's good that he was able to produce something and let's not forget that his body has been through a lot, over a short period of time, so it might take a while for his digestive system and his urinary system to get back to normal. When he was going to the litterbox and straining, he may have been trying to defecate, not urinate, but it's still of concern that he hasn't urinated in 12 hours. If he's eating the caned a/d, which is great for recovering cats, he's probably not drinking much, because there's moisture in the food, as opposed to dry food. For now, you'll have to give him a chance for his body to return to normal, and in older cats, that takes a little longer. You'll speak to the the vet who did the colon surgery tomorrow morning and let him know what Socks has 'put out' within what period of time, and see if anything further needs to be done to help him along. Perhaps he will prescribe something other than lactulose, to help him get rid of more stool. Please keep me posted as to how Socks is doing and what the vet says in the morning. Thanks! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.Warmest regards,Cher
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Do you know what else would be good for the stool besides lactlulose being I haven't had much luck with it in the past? I have read Miralax but I know it's for people.
You read my mind! I was thinking of Miralax, and it can be given to cats; also Metamucil is good; however, since Socks just had the surgery, the vet who operated will know which is the best product to try and help him produce more, without straining. Also, encourage him to drink more, but first find out if he has a urethral blockage, because if he does, he shouldn't drink any more, as his bladder could burst. That must be ruled out, if he still didn't pee by tomorrow morning. I'll be awaiting your update after you speak to the surgeon, tomorrow. Now it's time for me to sign offline for the night. Please take a moment to rate, before you exit the site. Thanks! Warmest regards,Cher
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know ur offline, I just wanted to let you know he just now peed, it was 3:30, that was almost 16 hrs. He has NEVER gone that long without peeing. I laid beside him on the floor until my back was hurting and then he finally got up and I helped him to the litter box and he peed. Thanks so much.
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist