Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat must have been right at my feet when I went to get something

Customer Question
out of my car around...
My cat must have been right at my feet when I went to get something out of my car around 12 AM last night. This morning I noticed right away she wasn't around because both the dog and cat are right on me when I wake I looked around a found her looking in the patio window not sure what the temp was last night but probably 35 or higher but not higher then 40 she has med fur well she's eating and used the liter box but keeps going back to the same spot on the couch and sleeping then I noticed she may have been walking strange but can't be sure. I'm just worried about her being in the cold all night she had been a feral cat about 6 years ago or longer but not for years. Getting Her to a vet. is hard just because she gets so terrified. Why would she be sleeping in the same spot. Do you think she was up all night?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She maybe 8 or 9 years old don't know what else to write she ate a few treats a while ago but would not jump up on the table or chair where she normally eats them. Her normal behavior is not to sleep in the same spot all day she normally goes downstairs then might jump on my desk or come in the bathroom she's just on the same spot.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cat Vets generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
4/22/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Chances are with her having experience outside, she didn't go far. She sounds stable at this time and may not need to have an exam performed at all. It's expected for her to be tired and she likely did spend a good portion of the night awake because of the low temperature. Her returning to a spot on the couch and sleeping may simply have to do with the fact that she's tired. If this is not improved within a few days, I would have her checked to be sure all is well. That being said, if she's walking in an odd manner this may indicate that she suffered some trauma. The cold can also make the joints feel stiff on a senior pet. Again, if this does not improve in the next few days (or gets worse) after she has a chance to get warm, walk around comfortably and sleep off any exhaustion it would be wise to have her checked by your vet. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She would not have left the deck was probably watching me and the dog sleep which she could see from the br doors because when I went upstairs she was on the upper deck I did hear a cat wail last night or cry b t didn't give it any thought because I live on a lake in the woods and there are tons of feral or cats that come from the farm down the road where I'm sure she was originally from I'm just concerned about her maybe getting a cheat cold that could turn worse she was my father's cat who passed a year ago and I had to put his other one down so this one means a lot never liked cats but no one else would take them and I has just gotten a nine week Chihuahua pup which they looked at like a mouse now their friends she,couldn't have gotten hypothermia could she
Colds typically begin with bacterias or viruses, not just from a low temperature. Unless she is showing signs of nasal or respiratory concern (or begins to show those signs), there should be little concern for a cold. Hypothermia means low temperature. If she were hypothermic, she would be unable to move, very lethargic, you'd have to pick her up to move her, etc. She likely became cold outside, but not hypothermic. She would have required supplemental heating to get her temperature back up to normal, most likely. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or my first thought is she is tired and a little traumatized and give it a day and if Shea not better by tomorrow afternoon tkae her in I'm pretty proactive when it comes to my pets health and my own
That sounds like a great idea. If your vet is also concerned about a cold, there are a myriad of antibiotics to choose from. If she is easily stressed with oral medications at home, you may wish to talk to them about a shot of Convenia which works for 2 weeks and keeps you from having to do oral meds 1-2 times a day. Less stress on you and on Shea. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse