Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

2 cats there drinking lots of water and eating good but seems

Customer Question

2 cats there drinking lots of water and eating good but seems to hace have no energy one is 18 the other is 15, plus the 18 yr old back side seems to be caving in,
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: tiger and buddy
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hello Donna,I am sorry Tiger and Buddy both are having trouble.How long are they like this?What and when did they eat last?Both indoor kiittes?Any known health issues for either one?Do you have plants or other things they could get into?Thanks,Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe 2 wks,they ate this morning but nibble all the time one goes out the other dosent no plants
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whats causing the one cats back end to caveing in
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****na,Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.If the weather is warm where you live that could account for lethargy.A fever is also possible.They could be dehydrated or hypoglycemic. Back side caving in can indicate dehydration.IF they are NOT diabetic, Rub a drop of pancake syrup or honey into their gums to raise their blood sugar.Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let them lap it up for hydration and to re;lace their electrolytes.Make sure they are both eliminating normally.If the 18 year old continues to be lethargic he may need subQ fluids.Please let me know how Tiger and Buddy are doing. REply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what causing my cat back end to start caving in,
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Most likely, dehydration. Even though he is drinking a lot of water, his kidneys may not be dispersing all fluids to his organs.Did you give him tuna water?It is hydrating plus it will replace his electrolytes.Has he lost any weight as that can also account for a caved in appearance?Some cats get hypokalemia which is low potassium. It causes muscle weakness:http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/hypokalemia-or-low-potassium-levels-in-cats/288See if he will drink an ounce of milk as it contains potassiumHe could be in pain but would not be eating if that was the case.