Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have an exotic shorthair cat, and he is turning to 1-year-old

Customer Question
in next month, but he...
I have an exotic shorthair cat, and he is turning to 1-year-old in next month, but he recently start to have many skin flakes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i can feel solid bumps when I brush him, and it's usually his fur attached to skin flakes
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cat Vets generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took him to the Vets. They told me he had a food allergy so I need to switch the brand they suggested. But my cat doesn't really like any brand other than the Royal can kitten food. And he used to eat this brand all the time, so I talked to the vets and they said it's okay to switch it back. And they gave me deworm pills for George. But it doesn't really help that much. George still eats a lot and he doesn't have any part that has no furs on, but around his neck, I can feel something solid underneath. And sometimes I can see it's more like skin flakes or scaring of wounds.
4/18/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome. It's possible what you are seeing and feeling is a condition called feline miliary dermatitis. This is typically a flea-related allergy, in which no fleas need to be present at the time, but, at some point in the past, George may have been bitten by one flea. However, there can be other causes, such as food allergies, mites, ringworm and others you can read about at the link below. With miliary dermatitis, the skin develops patches of rough, tiny bumps, and this is what you may be feeling. Here is more information: http://www.cat-world.com.au/miliary-dermatitis-in-cats At this time the vet should take a skin scraping (painless) of some cells that can be analyzed under a microscope and this will provide a good diagnostic tool. Royal Canin makes good foods, but sometimes, cats are allergic to the protein source (meat) in the food, so 'Limited Ingredient Diets' are recommended, which use novel proteins and carbs. Royal Canin makes such varieties, as does other companies, like Natural Balance, Blue, and more. You want to be sure there is no common allergens in the food, like corn, soy, gluten, wheat, dairy products, carageenan, artificial flavors, colors and/or preservatives and that meat is the first ingredient. If these affected areas are only around his neck and show hair loss, you could be looking at ringworm. This would be characterized by red, scaly, irritated areas and hairloss is prominent due to the shaft of the hairs breaking. This is not caused by a worm at all, but is a fungal skin infection. Sometimes it is itchy and sometimes, not. Ringworm is very contagious to other animals and humans, too, so be careful when you handle George. This condition can be tested for with a special light called a 'Woods Lamp' that causes the lesions to fluoresce green, if ringworm is present. Here is more information: http://www.cat-world.com.au/ringworm-in-cats Ask your vet to perform these tests, if they were not yet done, and try the LID food to see if this IS related to a food allergy. If this area is bothering George, and/or if he's scratching at it, for the moment, you can apply some plain Neosporin ointment to try to help prevent infection. Do NOT use the Neosporin that contains the 'anti-pain' ingredient. If he licks the plain Neosporin, it will not harm him, as the primary ingredient is white petrolatum (Vaseline). Just apply a thin film. I hope all will be well with George and you will get a definite diagnosis from the vet, after testing, and then the most appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.Warmest regards,Cher
Hi again, I just wanted to mention, since you first mentioned that George had many skin flakes, is that in addition to whatever is causing this 'bumpy' condition, he may have very dry skin. This could be environmentally related--if you have heat or a/c on, this draws moisture out of the air--so you can use a humidifier in the rooms where he spends the most time and also, add some salmon oil to his food. This contains Omega 3 fatty acids and helps skin and coats that are dry, plus is an immune system booster and has other health benefits. You can find this in pet supply stores. Here is an example: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/wild-alaskan-salmon-oil-cat-food-supplement Warmest regards,Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist