Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I found my cat dead on the floor no prior sytoms what happen JA:

Customer Question
i found my cat...
i found my cat dead on the floor no prior sytoms what happen
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will not be able resurrect your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Charlie 8years
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: healthy and happy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
4/17/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Hello and thank you for your question. I'm so very sorry to hear about Charlie.It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When did you find him? 2) Was he purebred?3) Any history of heart murmur? 4) Any recent problems with walking, seizures or spontaneous fainting?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
on bathroom floor he wasnot a purebreed no heart murmur no recent problems
Any recent lab work performed? Did he appear to have been sleeping or walking when he passed away? It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
It sounds like Charlie most likely had an underlying affliction known as HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This condition only affects about 10% of domestic cats, but when it strikes it can be unrelenting and very hard to detect unless a cat has symptoms beforehand. It's known as the 'silent killer' because it can literally lay undetected for years until something major happens. In this case, it sounds like Charlie's heart had finally reached a point where it was no longer functioning properly and eventually stopped working. In humans, we would consider a similar event a heart attack. Many cats are walking along without any concerns when they literally lay down on their side and they're gone. You can rest with confidence that Charlie did not suffer.If he has not already been buried or cremated, it may be worthwhile to have a necropsy performed to see if there is anything abnormal with his organs. These are typically performed by your veterinarian within a day or two of death and can give you the closure that you need by knowing for sure what caused the death. If you have any siblings related to Charlie (or know anyone that does), it would be wise to make sure that that pet does not have any of the same problems that Charlie may have had. Typically, in a case of heart disease, there is an instance of familial inheritance and often if one cat has HCM at least half of the cats in the litter will have it too. More info here: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/Services/Companion/Cardiology/conditions/HCM.cfmAnd here: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/hcm.aspx Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse