Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is eating and going to the litter ok but he has lost

Customer Question
Customer: my cat is eating...
Customer: my cat is eating and going to the litter ok but he has lost a lot of weight
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: if i feed him dry cat food he throws it up so i've been giving him wet cat food and tuna now and then
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i guess
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
3/26/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 1 year ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello,'

Thanks so much for requesting me. It is my pleasure to help.

Can I please have more information?
How old is your boy?
How much weight has he lost in how long a period?

Does he have any known health issues?

Is he an indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thank you,

Terri

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok my cat is all skin and bone and he is almost always hungry so i tried a dewormer but it didn't work i can't really afford to go to a vet. a fried of mine had her kitty go through it and the vet said nothing could be done that it has to do with old age my kitty is about 15 years in human life and no health issues. i didn't notice how long but in the last month he is all skin and bone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no that's my other kitty this one is 13 in human years
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is indoor and he is neutered
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i've looked symptoms up online but found nothing that matches
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will you be very long with an answer?

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

It sounds like he has hyperthyroid. That is very common in a cat his age.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/services/Companion/Internal/conditions/felinehyperthyroidism.cfm

It is not true that nothing can be done. This ailment is quite treatable with a food made by Hills called Y/D.

It comes in wet and dry forms:

http://www.hillspet.com/products/prescription-diet.html

In the meantime you can help him put weight back on by feeding him small meals every two hours. That is the best way for his body to metabolize calories.

He can have tuna, salmon, canned food, boiled chicken,baby food (no onion or garlic), anything he likes and will eat.

If you use dry food feed grain free as he is less likely to throw up from that.

Please let me know how he does on that program.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i will try that and see how it goes....do i come back here for an update on my kitty his name is ***** ***** my name is ***** ***** do i have to pay again

Dear Lesley,

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful lady.

There is no further charge. This is a one time fee you pay when you rate. After that you may reply as many times as you wish for free.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. I will still be here for you and Cloud at no additional charge.

Love,

Terri

How is your fur baby today?

Happy Easter!

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert