Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She's suddenly started licking her lips and shaking her

Customer Question
She's suddenly started licking...

She's suddenly started licking her lips and shaking her head. It seems like she has an issue in her mouth but I don't see any swelling and there's no bad breath.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 3 1/2 year old Bengal

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pebbles?

I watch her very closely for infections as they seem to get bad quickly. She has abnormal white blood cells. This was found when doing blood work to have her spayed at six months. Samples were sent to a blood pathologist and they said that even though there was nothing to indicate infection that the cells were not normal shape.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
3/7/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am sorry Pebbles is having trouble.

Licking lips is a symptom of nausea. Shaking head can be an ear infection or tooth abscess.

Check under tongue and roof of mouth for a stuck item, sore or any abnormalities.

See if she will lick an ice cube. Wipe her face and neck with a cool, damp cloth.

If she is nauseated give her one quarter of ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine).

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

I usually add it to a table spoon of chicken baby food with no onion or garlic.Wait 25 minutes and offer some more of the baby food.

For the next 48 hours feed only baby food or smooth pate canned food......NO DRY.

Please let me know how Pebbles is doing. I hope she feels better very soon.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri