Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat is lethargic, whistling when breathing, makes no

Customer Question
My cat is lethargic...

My cat is lethargic, whistling when breathing, makes no sound when she tries to meow. She wont eat or drink. I saw some gagging behavior but she hasnt vomited. I caught her eating cellophane the other night and took it away. The vet isnt open

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She's 18 months old and was in heat a few days ago

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
3/5/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am sorry your fur baby is having trouble.

Can I please have more information?

How long is she like this?

Any sneezing?

Have you checked inside her mouth for a stuck item, sore or any abnormalities?

What and when did she eat last?

Has she pooped today?
After your reply please give me a few minutes to read over the info and type detailed answer.

Thanks

Terri

She has been lethargic for over 24 hrs, more likely 36 hours. She won't eat or drink, makes no meow noise when trying. She had a gag reflex but no vomiting. I can hear a whistling sound when she breathes

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I am concerned the cellophane you mentioned may be lodged in her throat.

Rub a drop of pancake syrup or honey into her gums to raise her blood sugar.

Make sure noting is stuck under her tongue or on the roof of her mouth.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl. Offer it to her to lap up.

In case she is having an allergic reaction give her one of these anti-histamines:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

If she continues with these symptoms she should be seen.

I have some coupons for a free visit with vets that are open weekends.

here are two Vets that offer a free first visit:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

http://www.banfield.com/exclusiveoffer/

Please let me know how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert