Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My new mum has day old kittens and they are constantly

Customer Question

my young new mum has day old kittens and they are constantly searching for a teat to suckle from, seem hungry. how do i know they feeding?/ mum is asleep all the time, very flat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo,

I am sorry you are worried about the babes. Sometimes a young mum will not have enough milk. The first 3 days the kittens moslty get colostrum from Winnie. That substance gives them immunity from disease.

You can help by feeding Winnie plenty of tinned food as it contains 60% water. You can also give her cows or goats milk as long as she does not have loose stools.

Kittens that are feeding well act happy, sleepy and satisfied. If yours seem fussy and cry a lot you may want to supplement their feedings with kitten formula and tiny bottles.

Please let me know how the new family is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri