Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My aging cat. has asthma. s breathing is really labored and…

Customer Question
My aging cat. has asthma...
My aging cat. has asthma. His breathing is really labored and it sounds very wet. He is getting weak from coughing so hard and it's almost like he can barely take a breath without going into a coughing fit. He just sits hunched over, head down and to the right, looking like he's trying not to move or even so much as take a breath. He looks and sounds miserable. He doesn't have the energy to jump up on the couch. I don't know what to do for him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
3/2/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

He sounds as if he needs to be in an oxygen cage until a bolus of a glucocorticosteroid such as dexamethasone given IV could take effect. Do you have access to a 24 hour veterinary care facility? There's little you can do at home other than dose him with a full 1 mg/lb of prednisolone orally but that will take some time to take effect.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?