Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Bladder stones some embedded in s penis - possile PU surgery…

Customer Question
Bladder stones some embedded...

Bladder stones some embedded in his penis - possile PU surgery plus cystomy tomorrow or the next day - cost is 2300-3000 - is that a normal price?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cost?

Board certified surgeon will do the PU and because he is extremely busy and cant do both that and the cystomtomy?? another surgeon will do that which will make the total cheaper I hope

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
3/1/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello.

Most cats are able to be unblocked to get the stones/ crystals out of the urethra once under anesthesia. If we're unable to get a catheter passed, then a PU is needed. It's pretty rare, though, that the obstruction can't be relieved once the cat is anesthetized.

The cost for a PU surgery is typically ~ 1500-2000. The cost of a cystotomy is usually ~(###) ###-#### ***** estimate is pretty reasonable for both procedures. Typically, both are done at the same time under the same anesthesia.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks - I was told my someone that was going to donate some money to the surgery that those prices were ridiculous and so she didnt want to donate to that vet! I am not going to move everything to another vet and have to pay a new vet etc etc etc. He isnt totally blocked right now, but its only a matter of time. What do you think will be the after surgery instructions? I have 10 other cats and kind of hard to separate one cat

Most cats go on to live a normal life after surgery. There will be a stone analysis to see what type they are. Sometimes we'll put the cats on a special diet (Hill's C/D) to help prevent stones/ crystals from forming in the future. In a multi-cat house, that may not be ideal. In that case, offering canned food daily can help increase water consumption and make crystals less likely to develop.

they are going to do that and also have him on hills diet. just want to know about the immediate after surgery procedure at home

These cats usually bounce back quickly from surgery. They'll usually have an e-collar on for 2 weeks to prevent licking or chewing at the PU incision sutures. You may be best off keeping him isolated from the other cats in a bathroom with a litter box and his food/ water. After 2 weeks, the e-collar comes off and it's back to normal activity.

wow thats going to be hard to seperate him - have no idea what to do about that, If I didnt have the feral kittens in that extra bathroom there wouldnt be a problem

You don't have to separate him, but it would be ideal to keep him in a separate room if at all possible.

have a bedroom where half the cats stay and the other half stay in a family room, he only wants to be in the family room - because of conflicts all the cats cant be in one area (am saying at night mostly) especially one who will poop if she isnt in the bedroom. Sigh! And he only wants to use the litter box in the family room so thats a problem too. The other cats also use that - should I eliminate the litter and use something else?

You can use regular litter, just make sure it's not getting stuck to the PU site. If it is, you'll have to use paper litter for the first few days.

OK - good - if my kitchen doorway would close I could keep him in there, but its stuck in the wall (sliding door)

I understand, it sounds like separation is not a realistic option. That's ok. We make due with what we have. Improvise if there ends up being an issue.

OK thanks - figured the kittens would be finished with that room by now - but not tame enough yet! Hopefully he will be a good cat and not cause problems if I keep him in the bedroom with the one cat that poops outside of that room! Is it going to be hard for him to jump up on a bed? His e collar is a soft pillow type so he can see over it, just cant bend down to do destruction

I wouldn't let him jump up on a bed for a couple weeks- as much as you can prevent it. That's more for the abdominal incision to let it heal.

One other thought you could do, is get a big dog crate. Something that fits a litter box and food/ water bowls. That would keep him isolated with his own paper litter and also allow him to be in a room with other cats. Just another suggestion.

swell that is the only idea I had about where to keep him - even the family room has items he has to jump up on, but I guess if he doesnt feel good he's not going to do that???
he's a big 15 lb cat - how big a crate would I need?
just remembered I have a large soft sided crate - that might just work - going to go dig it out - thanks thats all the questions

Sorry about that wait- I had a call I had to take.

You could just get a medium sized dog crate. 3-4 ft long would be plenty of room.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?