Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a 6 mo old kitty who had a tail pull injury - he's…

Customer Question
Hi - i have a...
Hi - i have a 6 mo old kitty who had a tail pull injury - he's gone for acupuncture and laser treatment - he is walking much better. But he doesn't use the litter box at all - i express him 2x a day and he poos whenever he feels like it -- I read about the bethanechol and other drugs - is there anything newer on the market - is this going to be permanent at this point
thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/28/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello Hope,

I am so sorry the fur baby was injured. As you know the tail contains bones, discs and vertebra.

If any of these were damaged it can take weeks for him to get return of feeling in the area.

Bethanechol is commonly used to get the spinchter to contract.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/bethanechol-urecholine-etc

Onsior may be a viable alternative:
http://us.onsior.com/en/

Worst case scenerio is amputation of the tail. We do this if nerve fibers are injured.Or if he is in pain:

https://www.vetinfo.com/cat-tail-injuries.html

Most cats do recover. They do not even miss the tail.

Please let me know how he is doing. I hope he feels better very soon.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

He was swung by his tail and I rescued him when he was 8 weeks old - his mobility is better - he has been for acupuncture and laser treatments but is incontinent and has zero fecal tolerance -- his tail will not be amputated - is surgery or medication indicated