Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat ingested 2mg of clonazapan HE was trying to walk last…

Customer Question
My cat ingested 2mg of...
My cat ingested 2mg of clonazapan HE was trying to walk last night and was falling he's barely doing anything today. What should I do??? I gave him 1cc of anew oral type caffeine based breathing aid. And have been giving him water and baby milk . Please help me will he make it through. He has a heart rate of 140 I believe I'll check again
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/25/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Keet Keet is experiencing side effects from ingestion of Clonazepam although I'm happy to reassure you that the amount he age isn't likely to be fatal. In fact, the calculated dose which might be given to a 10 lb cat as an adjunct to control seizures would be about 2 mg at the higher end of the dosage range.

The symptoms that you're seeing are ones consistent with side effects even at a normal dose: sedation, balance issues although some can become agitated or confused.

He can continue to be monitored at home, as long as he's rousable and does not show paradoxical signs of hyperexcitability or agitation. I'd confine and keep stimulation to a minimum.

I also would discontinue the caffeine product that you've been giving him. He doesn't need it and would be considered contraindicated in this situation.

He should be fine within about 24 hours or so after ingestion of the drug.

I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Keet Keet. I'm assuming he's back to normal but just wanted to double check. Deb