Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have a female calico that we get shaved every few months…

Customer Question
Hi rebecca. We have a...
Hi rebecca. We have a female calico that we get shaved every few months cuz she can't clean herself. We were out of town for a few weeks and when we got back the poor thing has dried on poop smeared all over her backside. Is there something we can spray on or use 2 help disolves and losen up the mess b4 we start trying 2 wipe her down?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/22/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Gabby,

It depends what you have on hand.

Vaseline or Mineral oil will soften it up.

Or, take some dish washing soap and rub that into the feces.

If she will let you, and you have a sprayer on the shower or kitchen sink, the easiest thing to do is to put her in the sink or tub and spray her hind end until the feces come off. That is what I would do. Hold her by the scruff of the neck the way a mommy cat carries her babies.

You can also put a wash cloth or towel over her head. Cats think their body is hidden if you cover their head.

If you have clippers, and not scissors, you can usually get the clipper blade under the dried feces. Then if there is skin irritation from the clippers close to the skin you can apply over the counter hydrocortisone cream every 12 hours.

I have an 18 year old pet with the same problem. I use the sprayer or the clipper technique.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about ***** *****. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby