Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat is very sick he has leg spasms and is in great pain…

Customer Question
my cat is very sick...
my cat is very sick he has leg spasms and is in great pain when he has them
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/20/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

I'm so sorry to hear that your cat is very sick and has leg spasms that cause great pain.

It's possible that he has a cardiac condition called feline cardiomyopathy, which can cause a blood clot to lodge in the main artery carrying blood to the hind legs. This is very painful and can also cause paralysis. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/cardiomyopathy.cfm

It's also possible that these spasms are related to a nutritional deficiency or muscle or nerve problem, so it would be best to have him evaluated in person asap, at an ER vet center, where he can be diagnosed and treated for the pain. Once you know the cause of the problem, you will be referred to a veterinary specialist who will be able to help, further.

I'd advise getting him seen today, at an ER vet center, if your regular vet doesn't have weekend hours.

Unfortunately, there is not much to do at home for these symptoms; they must first be diagnosed and the underlying cause, determined.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

Please take a moment to Rate my answer, so the site knows I have been of assistance. Thank you very much!

Warmest regards,

Cher