Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

12 year old cat with no bowel or urinary and ataxia in rear…

Customer Question
12 year old cat with...
12 year old cat with no bowel or urinary and ataxia in rear legs. Blood work showed high amylase and slightly low Na/ K ratio thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/20/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello Sharon,

I am so sorry Checkers is so ill.

When she last urinate and defecate?

Do her legs feel cold with blue nail beds?

Does she have renal or heart disease?

Thank you,

Terri

Last evening as far as we know
No
No
I meant no bowell or urinary control

Dear *****,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I am concerned about a blood clot.

This blood clot can leave the heart in the large blood vessels exiting the heart, but then get stuck in many of the smaller blood vessels leaving those major arteries. When this happens, it can cut off blood supply to a limb. Suddenly the cat limps on that limb and is very painful.

Think of wrapping an elastic band tightly around your finger. Pretty quickly it becomes painful and it is hard to use the finger. This is essentially the same thing that happens when a thrombus blocks blood supply to a cat's limb.

On exam, these kitties present with pain and limping. If the clot has gone to the right front leg (the first "exit" from the major arteries) that foot will be colder than the others and the nail beds will be blue. The blood clot may lodge in the caudal vena cava, which is a major blood vessel leading to both back legs. In this case, the cat will not be able to use the back legs but will drag them around and will be in severe pain. If this happened some time ago, the limbs may be so numb by now that there is no pain from them anymore. However, the pads will be notably cool, the nail beds will be blue and the cat will not have pulses on the back legs. This carries a grave prognosis.

Early treatment involves drugs to stop more clots from forming - the choices are aspirin or coumadin (rodenticide, rat poison, warfarin). Unfortunately, if there is a major clot to both back legs, treatment may not be possible.

Hopefully, that is not the case with Checkers. She may have low potassium affecting her muscles:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/hypokalemia-or-low-potassium-levels-in-cats/288

If that is the case a potassium supplement will help.

Other possibilities are arthritis or a disc or vertebra injury.

See if her vet will script onisor:

http://us.onsior.com/en/

Please discuss all of this with the attending DVM and let me know the findings.

I hope Checkers will be feeling better very soon.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri