Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Our cat has a spot at the base of s tail about the size of a…

Customer Question
Our cat has a...

Our cat has a spot at the base of his tail about the size of a dime that had no hair last week, now looks moist and turning into an open sore - what should we do to help it heal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Pumpkin... about 7- 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

His name is "Pumpkin"

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about And?

We got him as a rescue about 7 years about. He is active and eating normally, has medium short hair

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/18/2016
Cat Vet: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Pumpkin has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Cats do get infected areas of eczema and other minor skin conditions from from time to time, luckily it is rarely too serious.

2. However there are things you can try before getting your vet involved. One good thing to try is to thoroughly clean the affected area with luke warm salt water, then gently dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper and then apply the likes of Neosporin ointment. Do this twice a day for five days or so.

3. Of course if it does not quickly start to heal or if you note any marked deterioration then you should get your local vet involved as a course of antibiotics may be required. However you may well find the above common sense home remedy will resolve things.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Pumpkin is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the sore on his tail ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott