Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My question is about a vaccine giardia. My sister who lives…

Customer Question
My question is about a...
My question is about a vaccine for feline giardia. My sister who lives in Europe has 3 persian inhouse only cats, one of whom has contracted this disease. I understand there is a vaccine available in the US to help/protect from this. This vaccine cannot be obtained in Europe. I am interested in purchasing this here and sending it to her. But I do not know what the commercial name is ***** ***** and I am also wondering if I would need a prescription.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/17/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your sister is having issues with Giardia in one of her cats. I'm sorry to inform you that this particular vaccine has been removed from the market due to lack of sales. ...probably for several reasons but the primary one is because of lack of efficacy. When it was given, it appeared to reduce the shedding in some patients to some degree but controlled, non-manufacturer studies, didn't demonstrate any clinical benefit.

The Giardia vaccine is on the AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) "not recommended" list because of lack of efficacy so many vets didn't recommend its use.

So, even if it were available, it's not likely to have helped your sister's situation, unfortunately. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb