Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have a sphinx cat that is 7 wk pregnant and has developed…

Customer Question
We have a sphinx...

We have a sphinx cat that is 7 wk pregnant and has developed diarrhea. There is no blood in it and she doesn't seem in any discomfort, but we have never had this breed of cat before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: When I remember I'll let you know.

She was fed wet cat food from a different brand yesterday, could this be the cause?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

This is her second litter. She is a rescue and we were not the owner for the first. She is 1.5 yr old. Otherwise healthy.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/17/2016
Cat Vet: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Sphinx. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

A diet change can cause diarrhea. Usually after being on the new diet for a few days it will clear up, unless the new food really does not agree with her. If you have her old food, you could mix the new with the old for a few days to make the transition to the new food easier on her.

Probiotics (beneficial bacteria supplements) made for cats such as Proviable or Fortiflora should be safe and may help.

If she is eating, not vomiting, and is drinking, this is probably not too serious. Let me know what other questions you have.

Great to know, thanks so much.

You are welcome! Let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. I hope she is better soon. Rebecca