Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have just adopted a 2 year old male rescue cat. He was…

Customer Question
We have just adopted a...
We have just adopted a 2 year old male rescue cat. He was previously owned by a couple who had a flat. He seems intimidated by our larger house, and has been hiding behind the TV and the sofa for about an hour. Should we just leave him to come out when he is comfortable to do so?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/16/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hi Douglas,

Bless you for rescuing Jinx! You do not have to worry. Whenever a cat is moved, he scopes out a safe spot and hides until he is sure there are no predators or dangers. Some cats will not even eat or potty for a few days till they acclimate.

You can speed up this process by applying his scent to things.

Rub a damp cloth on his pads and neck where there are scent glands. Then rub it on windowsills, doorways and furniture.

Once he smells himself he will feel more comfortable.

Don't pull him out and force him. Just leave his food, water and litter within reach. Let him come out when he is ready.

You can tempt him with some tasty food like tuna or chicken. To a cat, food is LOVE and they CAN be bribed!

Please let me know how things are going.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri