Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He has been throwing up every night undigested food that he…

Customer Question
He has been throwing...

He has been throwing up every night undigested food that he ate in the morning. He is dying for food in the morning so I give a teaspoon of food to see if that stays down and he will go and lay down and then I will give him another teaspoon a couple of hours later and continue until 5 p.m. and then he throws it up undigested. He had a very small bowel movement yesterday and am concerned he may be constipated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He was put on medication for his thyroid and she was concerned about his kidney's levels becoming elevated while on the medication. He has not had the medication since Saturday because I was worried he would throw it back up. He is drinking water and urinating but no bowel movements.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/16/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

I'm sorry your kitty is experiencing this problem. How long has it been going on?

How old is he?

What medication is he on for his thyroid and what is the dosage?

How long has he been on the medication?

What food is he currently eating?

His last small bowel movement was on Sunday?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Cher

Methimazole ck 5mg/ml v-susp. 0.4 ml by mouth 2x per day. He has been on the medication three weeks. Friskies canned food and petfresh smart chicken food. Friday at 4:30 is whe it started then stopped during the day and would start again in the evening. He is 18 yr old. Last bowel movement was Sunday.

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

It's possible that he is having an adverse reaction to the medication or is allergic to one or more ingredients in his foods, and that is causing him to vomit. Methimazole suspension does carry vomiting as one of it's side effects, and since vomiting is also a symptom of hyperthyroidism, his dosage may need to be adjusted.

Another possible cause of vomiting is excess stomach acid or acid reflux. For this, we can try 1/4 of a 10 mg. tablet of Pepcid AC (Famotidine) 30 minutes before a meal. This will help cut down on any nausea and help reduce acid production.

It's also very possible that he is constipated and that's why he's throwing up his food, undigested.

At this point, since he is newly diagnosed as hyperthyroid and is experiencing these symptoms, it would be advisable to have him seen in person by a vet, as soon as possible. The vet may give him an anti-emetic injection to stop any nausea and vomiting and also check him for a constipation issue.

For the moment, make sure he is drinking sufficiently and offer him 1 ounce of milk, as this usually acts as a natural laxative and will help him produce a bowel movement.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not yet provided a rating. How is your kitty coming along?

Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification,please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise I receive nothing for my efforts in assisting you.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist