Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My domestic cat is about 10-11 ye3ars old and has started

Customer Question
biting me every so often...
my domestic cat is about 10-11 ye3ars old and has started biting me every so often on my wrists what would make him do that I treat him well so there is no reason that I now of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
2/16/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry Skike has been biting you on your wrists, every now and then.

Does he just do this just at random times, or are you in the middle of playing with him or petting him, about to feed him, cleaning his litterbox, etc., when this happens?

How do you react when he does this?

Is he normally a calm, sweet kitty?

Thanks for all your additional information. After your reply, please allow me some time to send detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hi again,

I was hoping to get some additional information from you, but didn't want you to wait too long for an answer.

It's possible that Skike is biting your wrists occasionally, because he wants your attention and/or wants to play. If he is an only-kitty, he may feel lonely and want companionship, so, if you are his primary caregiver, he views you as a 'littermate' and wants to play.

If you ever use your fingers or hands as toys for him, this might be encouraging him to bite your wrists, so it's not a good idea to do that. Also, if you are petting him and he bites you, he's trying to say 'enough!' because he's becoming overstimulated. If your reaction when he does this, is to scream or yell, it's a negative reaction, but it's 'attention' and he doesn't care if he gets negative or positive attention, as long as he gets attention.

I would recommend enriching his environment with a tall kitty condo or cat tree and a variety of different toys he will like. Here is a great selection of toys:

http://www.pawswhiskersandclaws.com/pwc%20foraging.pdf

http://www.zootoo.com/pet-product/cat-toys/funkitty-twist-n-treat

http://www.batarat.com/

http://www.catdvd.com/

http://www.shopfatcat.com/Cat-Toys_c_7.html

http://www.amazon.com/FroliCat-BOLT-Interactive-Laser-Pet/dp/B0021L8W6K

----------------------

You can also play with him with interactive toys, like a laser pointer and a feather wand. Just make sure not to leave the feather wand alone with him, as pieces can be chewed off, so only play with this WITH him, under your supervision and then put it in a place that is inaccessible to him.

I would also suggest getting some Feliway plug-ins. These resemble plug-in air fresheners, but have no scent to humans; they emit cat calming pheromones, great to alleviate any stress/anxiety and are available in major pet supply stores, some vet's offices and online.

http://www.feliway.com/us

It's also possible that this is how Skike is letting you know that he's not feeling well, he needs his litterbox cleaned, he's hungry, or trying to communicate something else. For example, if you're speaking on the phone and are gesturing and speaking excitedly, this may make him a little tense/anxious and that's why he will bite your wrist.

When he does this, tell him firmly (not yelling), 'No biting!' and walk out of the room for a few minutes. If you are consistent with this, he will come to realize that he would rather have your company than bite you. Afterwards, you can direct him to a toy to play with.

I hope you found my answer helpful and things will improve with Skike!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist