Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I accidentally gave my cat too much buprenorphine. It should…

Customer Question
I accidentally gave my cat...
I accidentally gave my cat too much buprenorphine. It should have been .075 and I gave him .135 --will he be OK? He weighs slightly over 10 lbs and has been taking it for 3 weeks now for cancer pain.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/15/2016
Cat Vet: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello Sarah,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Sarah

Sorry to hear about your cat's problems however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The typical dose of buprenorphine administered to cats is between 0.005 to 0.01 mg per pound of bodyweight up to four times a day. The 0.135 mg you gave is a little bit above the normal dose but on a one of basis I doubt if this will do your cat much harm. Buprenorphine is a synthetic opiate so you may see a slight degree of sedation but I would not expect to see worse than that.

2. Just keep an eye on him for now and then give the next dose at the normal time. I should also be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you! He has cancer & hasn't eaten much today, so I was doubly worried. I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on him.Is the ceiling dose 0.1 mg for cats? I've had problems finding a solid answer online.Thank you so very much -- I didn't want to drag him into the ER vet if I can avoid it.
-Sarah

Hello again Sarah,

No problem, glad to have advised you, I know you poor cat has cancer but a little more buprenorphine is unlikely to make thing much worse ...

Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug is used in dogs and cats : LINK

It says " Due to a high index of safety, overdose is rare. " and from my experience of this drug in cats I would agree with that.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Sarah,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the buprenorphine incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Sarah,
I'm just following up on our conversation about S. How is everything going?