Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Kitten 7 mo old has bumps like things on nech and

Customer Question
chest..feel like they are filled...
kitten 7 mo old has bumps like things on nech and chest..feel like they are filled with liquid. they seem to grow to some extent tha they can be felt. thne in few days they almost go away and reappear in a diffrenet area of the neck/chest. almost like going in a circle. cat is otherwise happy. vet had no idea what it is. gave round of antibiotics but didn't seem to have any effect. kitten sometimes scratches them and some blood appears .sometimes small pieces of hair will come off, but not often. probably from scratching..
what is this??noticed soon after adoption from spca. he is also scared of his shadow. almost impossible to catch and hold and put in carrier..wild kitten.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/4/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Good evening, thanks for your question. I have some additional info I need.

1) Does your kitten receive any regular medications?
2) Does he wear a collar or harness?
3) Do they itch?
4) What antibiotics were given and for how long?
5) Has this area been biopsied or cultured?

1.no meds
2.no collar or harness
3. i think they might itch some he often licks the area
4. he had an antibiotic injection tha was good for 2 weeks
5. no

The antibiotic injection used was Convenia. It's usually really good for skin problems.

It's difficult to say without seeing him in person what this might be, but I would suspect something along the lines of a deep pyoderma or dermatitis. These types of afflictions are fairly common in younger cats. In some cases, even ringworm can cause itchy, raised areas that have patches of hair that will come out easily when irritated. We usually see the pyoderma and dermatitis happen around the neck, chest and sometimes even into the lower abdomen, inner thighs and around the genitals. For a young cat who has not responded well to treatment thus far, we usually recommend sedating the pet, clipping the area, taking samples for a culture and sensitivity, as well as biopsies. A fungal culture would be useful, as well.

The clipping of the area allows us to easily topically treat the area and to see what's below the fur. In many cases, the lesions extend 2-3 inches past where the area appears to be irritated or you're feeling the bumps. Depending on what is seen, topical treatment may be recommended. The culture and sensitivity samples will help determine what antibiotic will be a good choice (convenia is a good option, but sometimes what we're treating is not susceptible to our antibiotic which, in such as case, wouldn't cause a response for the pet). Biopsies can be useful in determining if something is wrong with the skin. These are typically done in pets that are older, but in younger pets who have an odd presentation they're a good choice as well. These tests can be expensive, but give veterinarians the best shot at not only a useful diagnosis but also a useful treatment. Depending on the culture results and what the skin looks like, your vet may also be able to use the culture results to have a custom-made cream made to apply to the skin to give direct results. Another useful approach would be a tape test, as this would be useful in checking for bacterium, the presence of yeast, external parasites, etc.

If you're unable to yield results with such an approach, a referral to a veterinary dermatologist would be the most useful. They are skilled in working with conditions that might stump veterinarians. You may well be able to save a few bucks by having the tests mentioned above performed with your regular vet instead of a specialist, too.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time with each customer. If questions remain, please reply and I will help further.

In response to your question on the duplicate post:

Your baby is rather young for this to be something that isn't curable. I cannot say for sure, of course, but youth is on your side.

It's difficult for me to say why the bumps fill, retract and then come back in another area. It's possible there's some circulatory concern there or that bacteria is present very deep within the skin and the symptoms are moving instead of improving. There are a lot of skin concerns that look similar, if not exactly the same, pet to pet. Your baby is either going through something uncommon or has an odd presentation for it. That's part of why the vet has recommended the biopsy.

With me informing customer service of the duplicate, they should keep the 2nd charge from going through.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy