Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

It is a Farrow cat that I feed. I trapped m to have m

Customer Question
It is a Farrow...

It is a Farrow cat that I feed. I trapped him to have him neutered. Which was done 4 mo. ago. Now he has rice looking worms. And yesterday he had projectile vomit

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I have three cats myself, so I know how you must feel right now. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I'm aware of. When he first came to my home, he had 20 ticks on him. I've been putting flea and tick repellent on him for the past 6 mo.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

I've been able to remove 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Gibbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know?

No. that's it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/3/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

The "rice looking worms" are segments of the flea tapeworm. He ingested at least one flea that contained a larval tapeworm. You can rid him of tapeworms by dosing him with an over the counter wormer containing praziquantel. Please see here: http://www.amazon.com/TradeWinds-Tape-Worm-Tabs-Tablets/dp/B009SD9TIY It would be prudent to worm him for roundworms as well with an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate. Hopefully becoming parasite free will stop his vomiting. If you have trouble orally medicating him which would be understandable, his vet can inject him with praziquantel and provide you with a topical wormer for him. Because he's having trouble with both fleas and ticks, an over the counter product containing fipronil such as Frontline should be a topical spot-on of choice.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.